Modelling Armor Stands

LesserSpottedPig

21 June 2013
british person
Now I'm sure we're all aware of the now available armor stands, am I right?
Well, using a couple of new commands, you can do some pretty cool things with these bad boys. Here I'm going to show you some of the commands you need to use to do some fancy modelling, and the effects they'll all have.

Now, to start off we need an armor stand. You can do this from your inventory,

Or by using the /summon command,

(Ignore all the complicated typing stuff above, that just appears after you do a command)

Once you have your armor stand, you're more than likely going to want to have it to have arms, and no base plate. This is relatively simple to do, so long as you understand the command you need to type in.

Now, what does all this mean? The "type=ArmorStand" is what it says- the command is looking for an armor stand within the given radius, "r=5" (a radius of 5 blocks around you). Make sure this bit is in "[]" brackets. The next bit, "ShowArms" needs to be in the {} brackets to work. The command is simple from here- you want to show the arms, so you input "ShowArms". The ":1" afterwards turns on the command in the "{}" brackets. If you change it to ": 0" (without the space) it turns it off (takes away the arms). Once you've done this command and hit enter, your armor stand should look like this.

I said above that you'd want to remove the base plate at the bottom of your armor stand. If you input the same command- /entitydata @e[type=ArmorStand,r=5] {blah:1} - replacing the "ShowArms" (blah) with "NoBasePlate", the base plate will be removed.

Now we're on to the exciting bit- modelling.

To model is rather simple- although the command takes a bit of getting used to. You might want to play around with it for a bit, getting to know in which direction the different section changes.
Your base command for modelling is as follows:

/entitydata @e[type=ArmorStand,r=5] {Pose:{Body/Head/LeftArm/RightArm/LeftLeg/RightLeg:[0f,0f,0f]}}

The first "0f" makes whichever body part go forwards and backwards (backwards being a -0f).

The second "0f" spins the body part around, with the positive numbers making it rotate to the left, and the negative numbers to the right.

The third and final "0f" makes the arm move side to side, with negative numbers moving the arm away from the body and positive numbers in closer.

Another handy thing to do can be to make the armor stand invisible, which can be handy if you're trying to make a floating sword, for example.
To do this, we use the command we used to make the arms show and remove the base plate, except this time we use "{Invisible:1}".

Note: I have found that with my armor stands, when I place a torch in my armor stand, it puts it facing away from me in his right hand. To correct this, you'll need to use {Pose:{RightArm:[-0f,0f,0f]}}.

You can also make your armor stand so that it isn't affected by gravity, using the tag "{NoGravity:1}"

Making this tutorial style thing, I made this sculpture, based on @TSB_Brit. I think it looks pretty good. It's basically an armor stand with Brit's head holding a torch, with and invisible armor stand holding a pickaxe in the right spot to make it look like Brit's holding both.

"Behind the Scenes"

You can also spawn mobs with no AI with "/summon [Mob] ~ ~ ~ {NoAI:1}" to make scenes with them.

This is all available to do in Vanilla Minecraft- no mods are needed at all!

I hope you enjoyed this little tutorial style thing and that it made some sense to some of you. Hopefully some of you will give it a try. I'd love to see some of what you make and come up with in the comments, so feel free to post screenshots of what you make down below!

Last edited: