Staff member
Vice-President
Nov 26, 2019
United State of America
CheifJumbo
CheifJumbo
Vice-President
Hi there,

As the new Vice President of EDawg878, I am always dedicated to working hard in your interests. Therefore, I am looking to you all for ideas and things you want to see changed and happen on EDawg. I will look into and act on all of these ideas- I want to make sure that you are heard and that you are able to contribute.

Therefore, I am taking any suggestions, ideas, things you want changed, etc. below! Please post your ideas with a short snippet of detail on exactly what you want to see.

Thank you,

CheifJumbo

Reactions: Mastergle

SqdNia

Jan 6, 2020
Earth
SqdNia
SqdNia
What if staff applications were visible to the public?
People would be able to read and comment on pending applications, being able to help make their voices heard. This means that the playerbase would be able to have an impact on the people who are managing the playerbase. The staff team would be able to see the community's opinion on an applicant and then put those opinions forward. This would help to connect the community and the staff team.

CheifJumbo

Staff member
Vice-President
Nov 26, 2019
United State of America
CheifJumbo
CheifJumbo
Vice-President
People would be able to read and comment on pending applications, being able to help make their voices heard. This means that the playerbase would be able to have an impact on the people who are managing the playerbase. The staff team would be able to see the community's opinion on an applicant and then put those opinions forward. This would help to connect the community and the staff team.
That sounds like something I can bring up with the President & Admin team. Thank you for your suggestion.

Mastergle

Retired Staff
Nov 12, 2019
discord.gg
Mastergle
Mastergle
That sounds like something I can bring up with the President & Admin team. Thank you for your suggestion.
There was a time when this was allowed for appeals... it was not a good idea (So appeals were turned back to private submissions).
An issue with this is 1). There are some location questions in there, though it wouldn't nail down your location specifically, some people really don't wanna let anyone know anything about their location. 2). It has DOB in there too- now a lot of people could simply lie (and potentially do), but again there's that personal information thing. Not everyone wants this stuff being shared.

On a different angle, apps are supposed to be confidential because staff managers are attempting to find what is unique about each applicant (making them qualified for the role). If all apps are visible then it's easier for people to read others and copy them (or copy little sections from different applications that they like). This isn't conducive to the goal.

Finally, in-general the playerbase doesn't actually know what's important when it comes to picking staff (this isn't meant to be rude, they just haven't been staff before on this server). There was a moderator before that was promoted because, essentially, the entire playerbase was posting everywhere that they wanted him as staff. Eventually the owners that be caved and that player got promoted- though by many current standards he was an alright staffer- he was really a bad choice. He didn't know how to do his job, he was constantly missing warns, and in-general wasn't capable of doing it (and eventually resigned because all his old friends got mad at him and he felt attacked). Sufficed to say- picking staff isn't

To summarize- it's not overly a good idea. There really isn't a benefit to having people hash it out in the comments below someone's application if they should be promoted or not. This, at it's core, can cause a lot of drama and issue between players (especially because it's very easy to turning a negative comment about someone's app into a bash fest). Many times there are people who are just plain awful at writing apps- they don't deserve to have their apps aired out for a public mockery.

Do what you will, granted I wouldn't know much about how staff stuff works- but this seemed pretty evident to me.
-Ciao

CheifJumbo

Staff member
Vice-President
Nov 26, 2019
United State of America
CheifJumbo
CheifJumbo
Vice-President
Riptide Tridents & Fireworks on c4, since there isn't a really great way to get around the public world.
I will most definitely bring this up with our developer. One small concern I do have with it, personally, is the implications of lag. Thank you for your suggestion!

Last edited:

Arrow_Tsar

Nov 14, 2019
Hell
Arrow_Tsar
Arrow_Tsar
I w

I will most definitely bring this up with our developer. One small concern I do have with it, personally, is the implications of lag. Thank you for your suggestion!
They do actually work, but I'm not sure if they're supposed to

UHLECKSA

Nov 20, 2019
florida baby
lexurious
lexurious
When I first read this suggestion I disagreed and I still do, but what if players could know who applied for staff without seeing their apps? This way we can still vote on them based on how we know they act. Recently a new staff manager was promoted and a lot of players can agree they aren’t involved in the community and every time a player is promoted to mod, I see many negative comments like “who even are you?” or “why did you chose someone who doesn’t even talk?” I think they have a point only because every staff member I have talked to about this explain that being staff means starting conversations in global, getting along with everyone, and still applying the rules. Right now only the older staff members try to start conversations with all players rather than a select few. Back to the point, I think if EDawg really wants people to have a say in the community, they get to vote who runs things in it, kind of like how we currently vote for a president, but still let the manager chose.

(sorry if this doesn’t make sense lol i’ve had 7 hours of sleep in the past 3 days)

Mastergle

Retired Staff
Nov 12, 2019
discord.gg
Mastergle
Mastergle
When I first read this suggestion I disagreed and I still do, but what if players could know who applied for staff without seeing their apps? This way we can still vote on them based on how we know they act. Recently a new staff manager was promoted and a lot of players can agree they aren’t involved in the community and every time a player is promoted to mod, I see many negative comments like “who even are you?” or “why did you chose someone who doesn’t even talk?” I think they have a point only because every staff member I have talked to about this explain that being staff means starting conversations in global, getting along with everyone, and still applying the rules. Right now only the older staff members try to start conversations with all players rather than a select few. Back to the point, I think if EDawg really wants people to have a say in the community, they get to vote who runs things in it, kind of like how we currently vote for a president, but still let the manager chose.

(sorry if this doesn’t make sense lol i’ve had 7 hours of sleep in the past 3 days)
I get where you're coming from... but there's a danger that lies there. Voting staff in for popular opinion isn't a sound way to run staff (In all honesty, I think it's silly to even vote for a head-admin and assistant head-admin). Because anyone can be a suck-up to the masses. The staff member I mentioned before in my original response was a crowd favorite, this individual was an awful moderator. They didn't know what they were doing, they just goofed around all the time while online (doing the things that made them popular, but slowly failing at being popular or staff). In the end it just left everyone with a bad aftertaste. Winning a public opinion is not how the staff team should be run, you need to find a trusted individual to manage staff (and to be a good judge of character). But it takes a lot more to be staff than just be chatty in global and be known enough to get everyone to like and vote for you.

Recently a new staff manager was promoted and a lot of players can agree they aren’t involved in the community
Honestly, this just sounds like you have an issue with the specific staff manager. I recommend you take it up with the head-admin ("president").

“who even are you?” or “why did you chose someone who doesn’t even talk?”
Gonna be real with you here chief, this has happened for forever. I think it's overplayed the importance of the staffer being chatty in global. They should be active on the server and in chat- but above all they need to be competent and capable (and you should always favor the latter). I've known plenty of chatty staff that didn't have an ounce of common sense in them... sufficed to say they were bad at their job.

Reactions: UHLECKSA